Let me start out by saying I'm not a huge fan of self help books. That being said, this book is essential for anyone (mainly older teenagers or adults) who has ADHD or anyone who loves someone with ADHD. Having two very close loved ones (George and Megan) with the inattentive form of this disorder, I chose to read it about the same time that George and I watched the hilarious ADD and Loving It on PBS. The book is a little dated (it was written in the late '90s) and mainly focuses on those that have the hyperactive form. However, the characteristics are often common across the board, as are the emotional effects. ADD children are often viewed as odd, lazy, stupid or having "something wrong with them," and as a result are excluded from social groups. This can cause the person to experience symptoms of depression or to develop anti-social behavior characteristics to cope with the rejection. Unfortunately, my loved ones are classic examples of this, but they have come to terms with the fact that, love them or hate them, many people just don't want to be around them or include them in their activities. Most importantly, I want them to know that they are loved, and that they are not lazy, stupid, or crazy. They are mine! About Us
Friday, May 11, 2012
You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!
Let me start out by saying I'm not a huge fan of self help books. That being said, this book is essential for anyone (mainly older teenagers or adults) who has ADHD or anyone who loves someone with ADHD. Having two very close loved ones (George and Megan) with the inattentive form of this disorder, I chose to read it about the same time that George and I watched the hilarious ADD and Loving It on PBS. The book is a little dated (it was written in the late '90s) and mainly focuses on those that have the hyperactive form. However, the characteristics are often common across the board, as are the emotional effects. ADD children are often viewed as odd, lazy, stupid or having "something wrong with them," and as a result are excluded from social groups. This can cause the person to experience symptoms of depression or to develop anti-social behavior characteristics to cope with the rejection. Unfortunately, my loved ones are classic examples of this, but they have come to terms with the fact that, love them or hate them, many people just don't want to be around them or include them in their activities. Most importantly, I want them to know that they are loved, and that they are not lazy, stupid, or crazy. They are mine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow you just made me tear up! In one short sentence you let your family know perfection is not a mark of your acceptance and that you prefer 3 dimensional real love of flawed people who are ironically perfect just the way are. I always told you loyalty was your best trait and you just wrote a sentence to prove it. Enjoy your day and know I would still be your friend even if you sported a purple Velour jogging suit.
Your comment made me tear up too! Thank you for your friendship and acceptance of my people, too! The purple velour jumpsuit is still calling to me...I may have to buy one. Tomorrow.
Post a Comment