I have never been a big fan of the TV soap opera. I tinkered with the Bold and the Beautiful as a teen just to see how many names they could come up with that originated from land formations (Ridge, etc.). I also tried watching Santa Barbara for a while in high school, but when A Martinez and his wife (don't remember their names on the show) picked up a magic rock off a Hawaiian beach and bad things started happening, I had to put an end to it. I loved the movie Soap, which made fun of the soap opera culture as much as I loved Zoolander and its take on models. But now I have a confession to make. I am a fan of one of the "soapiest" shows I've seen, and I love it! It is Downton Abbey,
and after I watched Series One on Masterpiece Theatre last year, I was hooked. I couldn't wait for more of the World War I era British drama. Now that Series 2 is playing, I again am eager to watch each episode. The loathing I feel for Thomas and the modern-woman sympathy I feel for Lady Sybil are the main emotions I feel on Sunday night (or if I'm busy, when I get a chance to watch the DVR recorded episode). I feel almost guilty, but I figure 36+ years is long enough to go without a soap addiction. Besides, this soap is British, and we all know about that obsession. Watch it, you'll be hooked too!

No comments:
Post a Comment