About Us

My photo
George, Dawn, Zachary, Megan, Danny, and Harley.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

A lazy Saturday afternoon with comfort food, and needles?

Yesterday was a lazy day. My only trip out of the house was a trip to the vet to get Harley's nails trimmed. After lunch, the kids had a monopoly tournament

where Danny the real estate mogul kicked some butt. When that was finished, George was so excited to give Zachary a shot in the arm!

Meanwhile, I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes. For me, there are no foods more comforting. For the meatloaf, I use my own recipe (which is really a modified Quaker Oats recipe) which calls for 1 1/2-2 lbs. ground beef/pork mixture, one medium onion, 1 egg, 1 tsp Worcestershire, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 cup oats, and 1 6 oz. can of V8. Mix it all together and place in a loaf pan. Mix some ketchup and brown sugar 1/4 cup of each) and slather it all over the top. Bake for 1 1/2-2 hours depending on how much meat you have.

Mashed potatoes are less difficult to make and much less messy. For the mashed potatoes, I cut up about 6 potatoes and boil them in salted water for 25 minutes.


I drain the water and add butter

I like 1/2-3/4 stick for this amount of potatoes). Mash them together until the butter is melted. Then add up to 3/4 cup of whole milk,

1/2 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese,

and most important more salt

and pepper) to taste. Can't go wrong with this recipe. In all, it was a good, relaxing day. We all needed it.

No comments: