Day 4
Ok, it says Tennessee vacation, but we took a jaunt to North Carolina for a quick Father's Day present for George. We drove from Pigeon Forge to Asheville, NC to visit Biltmore and the Biltmore Winery. Our day began at Antler Hill Village with lunch at Cedric's Tavern. Cedric was the Vanderbilts' Saint Bernard who reportedly wore a 33" collar. All of the historic photos of Cedric located in the tavern prove that he was a very large dog. The tavern also sells ales brewed at Biltmore, Cedric's Ale. I am already in love - it is fairly close to Newcastle Brown Ale.
For dessert, we went to the Creamery for fresh ice cream (the chocolate is made from cream from cows on the farm), and shopped a little before hitting the road.
Lucky for us, I-40 was open and we were able to take the straight shot both ways. Evidently, a large rock slide had closed the highway from October to April. Both ways, the drive was a little bit scary, but absolutely gorgeous. The kids were also really excited that we got to see the Bush's Baked Beans factory on the way there. I was shocked at how large it is. I guess they produce a lot of beans.
In all, it was a wonderfully exhausting day.
No comments:
Post a Comment