About Us

My photo
George, Dawn, Zachary, Megan, Danny, and Harley.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday morning volunteer work

Beginning in 7th grade, part of Megan's school grade in civics class is volunteer work. As a family, we believe in the importance of food as a basic human need, and we regularly give to America's Second Harvest of the Big Bend. Megan chose this as one of her volunteer sites. Danny and I decided we'd sign up with her, as we love volunteering! So, this morning we got up early so we could be at the warehouse at 9,


only to find out that the event they had today was off site.  Today's event was at the Florida A&M vineyards,


picking grapes for those who can't affort fresh fruit. It was a beautiful morning, and we had a lot of fun helping out. We switched off between shaking the vines to make the grapes fall onto the tarp and clipping them with scissors. Not sure I should have trusted these troublemakers with something sharp,



but they did fine.

 








I got some good shots of the experience, but I assure you, I worked just as hard as they did! I love living in a city with two colleges that offer experiences like these. And thank you, Second Harvest for being such a wonderful organization!

No comments: