About Us

My photo
George, Dawn, Zachary, Megan, Danny, and Harley.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Buttermilk Pie

Last night, while I was trying to decide on what to make for dessert, I looked in the fridge and saw that my buttermilk was about to expire. So I decided to make a buttermilk pie.




This pie is Megan's absolute favorite, and she can usually only get it at Tallahassee Smokehouse. But I decided to give it a go, and it turned out fabulous. Here's the recipe, adapted from one I saw on Tasty Kitchen Blog (I borrowed the pic from there), in case you get inspired, too (or in case you have some left over buttermilk you need to use).

Buttermilk Pie



Ingredients

4 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
1-¾ cup Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
⅓ cups Butter, Melted
3 whole Eggs, Beaten
1 cup Buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (I use homemade, reduce to 1 tsp. if using storebought)
1 pie shell, unbaked (I used Marie Callenders frozen pie crusts, thawed)

Preparation Instructions:

Combine flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine beaten eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla and stir with a whisk until well-blended. Continuously whisking, pour in beaten eggs and whisk until well combined. then pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.

Pour into the pie shell. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350ºF until filling is set and top is golden brown. Allow to cool for about 20-25 minutes before slicing. Store covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator.


No comments: