Just because the 4th was over doesn't mean that our fun ended this weekend. George and I just finished the 8th installment, Written in my Own Heart's Blood or MOBY as its fans affectionately call it,, in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (soon to be a Starz series in case you've been living under a rock), and we decided to mix it up this weekend. We started with some of our traditional summer activities like making our homemade vanilla,
and smoking some wonderful ribs paired with franks (grilled from the night before) and beans.
As George says, he smoked 'em low and slow.
While George downed his signature drink (a Boulevardiere),
I sipped a Jack Rose with one of George Washington's favorites, Apple Jack Brandy (which is mentioned quite a lot in MOBY
while baking some awesome chocolate chip cookies.
Along with the traditional activities, we threw in some Outlander-inspired things as well. We made two different batches of Cherry Bounce (another of George Washington's favorites)
I got the different recipes from a blog called Outlander Kitchen, and they should be ready in 3-6 months. I'll let you know what we think! Outlander Kitchen just recently published a Tastebook, and I got a copy. It's full of excellent recipes, and I decided during this cooking/baking spree that I would make Black Jack Randall's Lavender Fudge.
While my picture is nowhere near as good as the blog's or the Tastebook's, the fudge was delicious. The lavender gives it a unique flavor, and I even spruced it up with some of my homemade vanilla. Yummy!
Now I know you're thinking, There can't possibly be more. Oh, but there is.
Sunday after church, Danny's had a friend over to play video games and ride bikes for a while. Here they are chowing down on some corn dogs.
Megan went to a friend's house, and George and I continued our Outlander weekend by making Outlander Kitchen's Shepherd's Pie from An Echo in the Bone.
All I can say is, Oh My Goodness. I believe we'll be having another weekend soon, as George has requested this as a staple in our house now. Glad to oblige on this one.
What a fantastic July 4th/Outlander weekend!







No comments:
Post a Comment